About PHIT America
PHIT America is a cause and campaign dedicated to increasing physical activity and fitness to improve the health of America. PHIT America was launched in January 2013 with the support of over 100 companies and organizations working together to accomplish our mission. While the name PHIT sounds like FIT, it also has another meaning. PHIT stands for Personal Health Investment Today. We feel we must invest in fitness and sports activities today to improve the health of Americans.
The obesity crisis is well documented. It is a tremendous issue for many Americans and is driving up our overall health care costs. However, there is another huge issue, actually a global pandemic, which is equally troubling - Inactivity. While many organizations are focused on nutrition, PHIT America is totally focused on our mission: Help Americans to be a more active, playing more sports, and being fit resulting in a more healthy life. Simply said, PHIT America is a movement to reverse the "inactivity pandemic" which is hurting our country and Americans.
4 Key Strategies To Achieve Our Mission
- Educate Americans about the issues and compel them to be active, fit, playing more sports to achieve better health
- Help to pass common sense U.S. legislation which will result in more active and fit Americans which will prevent health care costs
- Promote and support grassroots and school based programs which will get more children active, fit and healthy
- Bring together companies, organizations, celebrities, local "influencers" and concerned Americans to work on a common approach to get America more active, fit and healthy
Strategy 1 - Educate Americans
PHIT America uses social media as a key component to communicate with America. We educate Americans by publishing eye opening News Flash Articles 2-3 times a month which are sent to Americans directly and through our 140+ Sponsors and other supporters. Our Sponsors also are promoting increased activity, sports, and fitness programs. We expose research and stories which stress the importance to be active and fit for a healthy lifestyle.
You can see our most recent PHIT America News Flash Articles on this web page. Americans who want to receive these articles and other information from PHIT America should join our Fan Club.
PHIT America also has an educational PR campaign and plans to communicate to Americans in other ways in the near future.
Strategy 2 - Pass Common Sense US Legislation
With the increasing costs of health care, it is vital we prevent these costs before they arise. PHIT America is 'redefining health care' with two pieces of US legislation which are common sense approaches to getting Americans more active, fit and healthy.
- The PHIT Act - The Personal Health Investment Today Act is new legislation which will allow Americans to use Pre-tax Medical Accounts for physical activity expenses. Pills, medicine and surgery are important for personal health. However, increased physical activity and fitness will help prevent health care cost before they arise. A recent study by the World Health Organization found $1 invested in physical activities will reduce $3.20 in health care expenses. Learn more about the PHIT Act here.
- The PEP Program - The Physical Education Program is a 12 year federal program which supplies grants from the Department of Education to physical education programs in local communities. Research is very compelling showing the benefits of PE. Kids who have physical education are more than twice as likely to active outside of school. And, there is conclusive research a child who is active is a better student too. Learn more about the PEP Program here.
Strategy 3 - Support Grassroots & School Programs
Changing behavior most often occurs in families, communities and schools. PHIT America has initiatives for all three:
- Grassroots schools and community programs - Through our partner, KIDS in the GAME, we are supporting programs which help children get more active, playing more sports and increase their fitness. We also support physical education programs which are critical to developing healthy lifestyles. Learn more about KIDS in the GAME here.
- Community supported programs - The Mayors Fitness Challenge is a new 10-week group fitness program which will help Americans jump-start their life back to increased fitness and improved health. Americans should contact their local leaders to utilize this free program from PHIT America to help their citizens. Learn more here.
- The "Online Yellow Pages" of places to be active, fit and healthy - GET FIT HERE. Check out our database of over 50 sports or activities which have local programs or services in your community. Check out GET FIT HERE.
Strategy 4 - Work Together To Achieve Our Mission
The obesity crisis and inactivity pandemic developed over many years and will take time and many people and companies working together to reverse these trends. There is a place for every concerned company or individual to be a part of our PHIT America Movement:
- Companies or Organizations - Join our Alliance. We have over 100 companies working together today. Every company who believe in our mission should be a part of our cause and campaign. Learn more here.
- Local "Influencers" or Ambassadors - Coaches, Instructors, PE Teachers, Fitness Professionals, Media, etc. All are welcome to be part of our team and help us achieve our mission. Check out our Ambassador program here.
- Celebrities - PHIT America is a great cause to be associated with. Launched in July 2013, we already have a fine group of Celebrities on our team here.
- Americans - Join our Fan Club. You can be part of our "Movement". Learn more here.
We can try to overcome the inactivity pandemic with individual efforts. PHIT America is a way to work together to achieve our goal to get more Americans active, fit and healthy.